Formed in 1997 as a small choir with a repertoire ranging from Plainsong to Poulenc, Monteverdi to MacMillan, the Wordsworth Singers have won critical acclaim for inspiring performances of largely unaccompanied works.
The choir's singing members come from all over Cumbria and from the south of Scotland, coming together several times a year to perform concerts throughout Cumbria and beyond, following a two week rehearsal period with their Director of Music, Mark Hindley.
In addition to the season's concerts, the singers frequently perform at weddings and other events, and collaborate with other groups in larger scale works.
Dates for our 2014-15 season:
- Saturday 18 October, 7.30pm: early English sacred music, including works by Tye, Sheppard and Taverner. St John's Church, Keswick.
- Saturday 29 November, 7.30pm: choral works around the theme of St Michael and the Angels. With Hugh Davies, organ. St Martin's Church, Brampton
- Saturday 21 February 7.30pm: modern Spanish programme.
- Sunday 22 February 3.30pm: repeat of previous day's concert.
- Saturday 13 June, 7.30pm: Scarlatti Stabat Mater, Vivaldi cello sonatas, St Thomas's Kendal, with Martin Johnson, principal cello, RTE NSO
- Sunday 14 June, 6.00pm, St Patrick's, Patterdale: repeat of previous day's concert.
Details can be subject to change, please check nearer the time